Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Vintage Pins

First, I have super exciting news!

I got my acceptance letter on Friday to IUPUI (Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis)!!!!



I will officially be a Interior Design student in the fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WOW!!! 

That is a dream I've held onto my entire adult life!!  And it's finally going to be a reality!

Thank you to all of you that have sent me so many well wishes!  They really do mean the world to me. :)

******************

Ok....onto today's real post.

I could not wait to show you this project.  And you are not going to believe the price!!

Not too long ago, I found a vendor at my favorite antique mall (Southport Antique Mall here in Indianapolis), that has shelves full of plastic boxes, stuffed to the brim with what she calls "Bits and Baubles". 

Bits and Baubles are basically costume jewelry, alot of which are vintage pieces, some are broken, some are missing one jewel piece, some miscellaneous little pretties and small oddities...and then some gorgeous vintage costume jewelry completely in tact still.

I have fallen in love with all her vintage costume jewelry!!

And the best part, her prices!!  1 piece for $2 or 3 pieces for $5!!! 

I mean, heellloooo!!  Most vendors charge double that for one piece!!

Sure some of it is pretty cheesy stuff....but alot of it looks like this beauty!  You just have to take the time to pick through it all and find the jewels. :)


I pretty much find a spot to sit in the floor and just dig through each box looking for pieces like this.  I mean, at basically $1.50 a pin....how can I go wrong??

I had a bunch of these Dollar Tree frames leftover from my craft show during the holidays that I never did anything with. 



I took them apart and painted the wood frames, black for the larger, and white for the smaller one inside. 

I covered the mat with scrapbook paper that I got on sale at Hobby Lobby the other day for less than $.50 each.  The frame took less than half a sheet.  I heavily distressed the paper with black ink.

I bought a 1/4 yard of gorgeous black velvet at JoAnn's (with a coupon) for about $3.50). Velvet is e.x.p.e.n.s.i.v.e. people!!  But luckily I only needed a small amount, so I have plenty leftover for future projects.

I also used a small amount of quilt batting that I had to create a 'puffed' look under the velvet.  I just used the glass from the picture frame as my backing, and taped everything down.

Put it all back together and you get this!!!!


I am SOOOO flippin' tickled, I can't even describe it!  :)


I will absolutely be selling these at my upcoming craft show next month!!  And Miss 'Bits and Baubles' dealer has plenty more for me to pick through still. :)



At what is better?  Have you been doing the math with me?

This cost me less than $3.50 to make!!       



Visit my link at the top of the page to see what parties I like to attend. :)


26 comments:

  1. Congratulations Erin! I am so happy for you! Best of luck to you as you follow your dream!

    Awesome Pictures! I love the way you chose to display your pin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girl after my own heart ~ sitting on the floor going through boxes looking for the gems, Erin! I think this is a great idea for a project and how great for a closet area or dressing room {for those lucky enough to have the space}.

    Congrats on your acceptance and thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! How exciting. But...after this lovely project you showed us I think that you are on to you art career before even attending any classes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had a bits and baubles lady! I love it, let us know how it sells!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I forgot to congratulate you on your college acceptance!!! We cannot wait to hear all about it, that is if you have any time to post once school starts!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post and blog! I stopped over because you left a nice comment for me on my blog about the Barbie dress and I wanted to say thank you. I love the blog and I'm your latest follower! :) Heather @ 500dollarwedding.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I would have never thought of that. Thanks for sharing. 8>

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so pretty! Isn't it fun making gorgeous stuff like this for cheap?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your acceptance, I'm sure you do well, you are so creative.
    I love what you can make with a few simple items.
    Thanks for visiting my blog that led me to yours.
    Kisses,
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aloha from Hawaii! thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment. I love your post and what you did with the pin. i've started to collect a lot of vintage jewelry and sometimes it just sits there in a box. this is really a great way to give it another use...thank you!
    and congrats on being accepted into IUPUI...you're gonna be great!
    ~ Jill from 'Just dream, Jelly Bean!'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your dream Erin! Very pretty pin pictures too.

    I featured your blog on my latest post. I hope it's okay with you.

    Warmly, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on acceptance to IUPUI! I love to see people following their dreams! And, I love the way to took that vintage pin and made it a decorator's joy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on acceptance to IUPUI! I love to see people following their dreams! And, I love the way to took that vintage pin and made it a decorator's joy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! How exciting! You pin is framed so beautiful and love the cost!! Visiting tonight from Melissa's :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats!! that is wonderful news.. I followed you from Melissa's blog.. that is a wonderful pc of jewelry.. what a great idea..turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hiya i'm maggie your newest follower x wow wow wow what a beauty x you were in the zone when you thought this one up x tfs
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your acceptance to college! That is so totally awesome! Not many people follow their dreams - good for you!
    Your frame is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Erin! What a great future ahead of you. Wish you the best. You obviously have the talent for this.

    Happy Friday! And thanks for visiting today.
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your college acceptance! That is awesome! The little frame is so adorable. Just found your lovely blog via Melissa. I'm your newest follower!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Erin! Congrats on your acceptance and best of luck with school. Love the framed pin and thanks for sharing this cute project at my party.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it!! Congrats!! I just found your blog through Melissa's post, I am now your newest follower. Come check me out if you get a chance.

    Noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations!!! How so very exciting for you!!! Beautiful vintage pin too~ Thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats ! And those framed pins are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete