Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Debut!

I am so excited to make my debut post! 

I started this blog because, one, I love interior design!!  It's been a passion of mine since I was teenager or maybe even earlier than that.  But, two, and probably more importantly, I own a small home...950 square feet to be exact.  I've struggled to find blogs dedicated to small homes. 

There's plenty of information on the web about tiny homes, such as the Tumbleweed homes, but those are much smaller than most of us would feel comfortable living in....um, less than 100 square feet...not me, thank you.  I find them fascinating, but too small for the average family.  And then I found wonderful sites dedicated to living in a small home, such as the wonderful blog The Jewel Box Home.  But to me, an 1800 square foot house, which is almost twice the size of my tiny gem, is, well...average (by comparison). 

So, I wanted to help others like me who are living somewhere in between tiny and average.

My goal for this blog is to discuss how to efficiently live in less square footage.  To teach others, while I'm learning myself, to create a beautiful, yet functional home.  I plan to discuss everything from organization, decorating on a budget, decluttering, to the positive impact small homes have on the environmental, our budgets and our psyche. 

7 comments:

  1. This is a test of the emergency broadcast system...or just Erin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Erin .... We love what you have done with your house and will be eager to "hear" how it is developing. We (I) have talked about a redo of our cabinets from oak finish to painted - more conversation to come. I am eager to see your future posts. G-Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic focus! Our family of six moved last year from a house with 962 square feet on the main floor and one finished room in the basement. I love the additional space we have now in our "average" size home, but it was definitely fun to be creative in maximizing the small space we had before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,

    Wow! A family of SIX in such a small space! I would love to hear how you managed that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for saying that an 1800 sq foot home is NOT small and blogging about living in a home that really is "petite"! I love reading design/decor blogs, but sometimes they get a little ridiculous.... how to organize walk-in closets that are bigger than my bedroom, new lamps and seating for your laundry room (hello! my w/d is in my kitchen!), tablescaping your formal dining room table that seats 16, etc. I read through your whole blog tonight, love your style, and look forward to future posts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little home on the internet is quickly turning out to be a favorite place for me to be!

    Thank you for showcasing what living in a small home is really like!

    Many Blessings,
    M.

    ReplyDelete