Friday, December 03, 2010

12 Days of Christmas - Day 3 - A Craft

I'm really excited to show you this craft!  I had hoped to get more than one made...but you know how that goes. ;)


I got my inspiration from these trees at Shanty 2 Chic's blog.

But...I do NOT sew! 

Not that I can't.  I can. 

I just HATE to sew!

So....I made my trees using wired ribbon instead!!

All my supplies are from the Dollar Tree.  So, my total tree cost me about $5.

You need:

- Styrofoam cone
- 2 rolls of wired ribbon
- Ornament for the top
- Ugly candle holder for base

I painted my tree first with red craft paint I already had.  Just to create a finished looking background.

Then I cut a length of ribbon (I guessed on mine) and scrunched (I'm pretty sure that's a technical term for this technique) the ribbon on one side to create a ruffled effect by using a pair of pliers and pulling on the wire. 

I hot glued each piece in place on the cone.  I also used straight pins to ensure it was secured well.

Continue until it's full.

I used an ornament for the topper.  I pulled it apart, took out the large center, then hot glued a toothpick in between the layers that were left and shoved it into the top.

For the bottom I simply painted an ugly candle holder with white craft paint and hot glued it to the bottom of the tree.

That's it!  Super easy...no sewing....and cheap!  You know those are my favorite kinds of crafts!!  :)


Until tomorrow....



7 comments:

  1. Cute! I love that kind of ribbon. I always buy it at Dollar Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I am so happy to learn about the gathering technique for the wired ribbon...that is going to come in very handy. Your tree is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute!!! I am going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so pretty. I can sew...my machine is lame so I don't sew much...but I miss it a little. I love how this can be done without sewing...So darn cute you talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! And great idea I may just have to try as I am not fond of sewing either! TFS! Hugs, Judi

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just beautiful! I am seeing so many lovely ideas on how to make trees from these cones. You did a wonderful job. I don't like to sew either so I like your alternative ;)

    ReplyDelete