Saturday, April 16, 2011

Fencing Drama

Hi Ladies (and any possible Gents)!! :)

So, the math placement test is done and I'm relieved!  I have no idea how I did...but I have my suspicions.  And they are not good.  College-Kindergarten Entry Level Math is in my near future.  LOL

So, back to telling you about my weekend (last weekend...yeah, I'm a little behind).  I will caution you....this is a L O N G post. :)

Because of our family addition this year, Lucy my brothers Pug, (aka - Smoosh-aroni, Bugsy, Lucy Lou, Lucy Luber, Snots, Snots-alot, etc)...

Isn't she precious?  Notice the tongue sticking out! :)

I have moved "Privacy Fence" to the top of the list for this years large project.

It's always been on the dream list...but since Ms. Lucy likes to chase the UPS truck, the mail truck, school buses (and the kids that get on/off said school buses), and the fact that she could spend hours a day just sniffing in which I'm not really fond of just following her sniffing nose around that long....fencing got moved to the top of the list.

I had planned ahead financially for this project before losing my job, so I am taking the risk and moving forward with this project.

Recently Lowe's had vinyl panels on sale, so I jumped!  They went from $44 to $29 a panel!  That's pretty substantial savings when you need 18 panels.
I have mentioned before that I drive a Nissan Sentra.  Not exactly a 'hauling' vehicle.

So, to save money on delivery, I rented a truck from Menards (Lowe's doesn't rent by the hour trucks anymore).  And my ex-husband and I picked up all the panels and post covers the next day....in a terrantial downpour!!!  And just as an added bonus...lightning. ;)  But it was the only day/time my ex could help.

The panels have sat in my shed since then...until last weekend.

The weather was nice here in Indy last weekend, so I figured why not start the fencing project.  My friend and her husband had offered to help.

To get a start on the project, I started measuring and screwing the brackets into the fence posts. 

Problem #1, first post in and I realized that the post covers were not going to be long enough!!!  This was the post Lowe's told me to get!!!

Remember....I rented a truck to get these posts and now they all had to be returned and I had to buy new posts!!

I returned them in my SENTRA...2 loads!  I talked to the store manager and the manager who told me to buy these posts and explained how I rented a truck and now didn't have a truck and the inconvenience that was caused.  So, they gave a nice discount to cover another truck rental.

Clearly NOT my fence!

Problem #2....it was a beautiful Spring weekend in Indianapolis.  No one had trucks available for rent! 

Several hours later, two more loads in the Sentra later and I had my new, long enough, posts.  Most of the day Saturday was now wasted...but not a total loss.

Not even close to being my home or fence!

Problem #3....the new posts, although they said they were 4x4 vinyl fence post covers....were not QUITE a full 4x4 inside!!!!  So, the treated wood fence post that goes inside....did NOT fit inside the second set of covers!!!!!!!

But, keeping my can-do spirit alive, I realized I must need a different size fence post for these. 

So, back to Lowe's I went. 

Apparently, nope....they don't sell smaller fence posts to fit inside!!  WHAT?!?!?  Why do they even make/sell it then?  The guy at Lowe's had no idea of course...although he was extremely helpful and sympathetic.

Now, let me tell you.  I am a very strong woman.  Challenges to me are just that...a challenge.  A blip God put in my path for a reason I don't yet know....but I'm sure it's a perfect reason because it's HIS reason.  So, typically, I just go with the challenge and move forward.  I don't let it get me down.

So for that reason, I rarely cry.

But I found myself sitting in my car with tears welled up in my eyes. 

If I had bit off more than I could chew, I would wave the white flag, and yell surrender.  No big deal...I tried.  But I hadn't gotten that far!  I couldn't wrap my head around why these post covers were manufactured in this way...and no one could explain it to me either!

A girl can dream fence.....which isn't mine.

Enter Problem #4.  My next option was to move up to a 5x5 sleeve....for a 4x4 post.   Again....WHY???  This wasn't going to be sturdy if you have a 1 inch gap all the way around the post inside.

So, this time I felt I needed to know what other options were out there.  So, I went to Home Depot.  The girl and guy in the contractor's section were very helpful.  Basically, they had the same options.  The man at Home Depot said I would have to place shims in the top and bottom of each post sleeve where the brackets will screw in.

Again....WHY???  Why not just make a 4x4 sleeve that would fit over the STANDARD 4x4 wood fence post?

This is where I swear my name was used!!!!  The girl said, "Erin, I'm sorry I couldn't help you."

I didn't really think about it until I left!!  I just said it was ok and then got in my car and was like..."did she just say my name?!?"

Has this ever happened to you?  I didn't give her my name...no credit card info was given or anything like that.  Anyway...I just blew it off and assumed I must have heard her wrong in all my frenzy.  But I must admit...I'm still curious if she actually said my name or not.  :)

Anywho, after that I went back to Lowe's and bought (only a few this time) 5x5 posts and finally called it a night at 9:30.  I was feeling totally defeated!!

I called my friend and told her I was nowhere near ready for their help on Sunday. 

So, Sunday morning, after a good nights rest, I felt re-energized.  I put my post inside my too large cover and headed to Lowes to find a 7/8" shim. 

Maybe someday mine will look this good.
Problem # 5.  All the treated wood was either too big or too small to use as a shim!!! 

So, I talked to the guy in the wood section and asked his opinion on what I should do.  We walked around looking and discussing options when he said we should check the Patio and Porch Section (near the wood....not the outdoors stuff).  And don't you know, there was the perfect length, 4x4 vinyl post cover that actually fit a 4x4 post inside of it!!  AND it was sturdier than the stuff in Lawn and Garden too!!!!!  It was a little extra cost, but with the discount the manager was giving me, it was still a manageable change.

Trellis Love!  Also NOT mine.

Problem #6 - They didn't have enough in stock!  So, I've been having to just stop in and pick them up as they have them.  Why they can't order them I'm not sure, but I was told they could check another store, but they couldn't order them.  Whatever...I can only fit FIVE in my Sentra at a time anyway.

So....you can imagine my excitement when my ex came over yesterday to help me with my fence!!  We (mostly him) got two poles concreted into the ground yesterday and ONE panel up!!!!!!!  It was very exciting!!

Oh please!  Only in my dreams would this be mine.

Problem #7 - The gate was smashed when he took it out of the wrapping.  We took it back to Lowe's....only to find out the other ones on the rack were in even worse shape!! 

So...now I have to wait until they get more in stock or have my ex or his girlfriend drive with their SUV (because it just ain't fittin' in a Sentra) all over Indianapolis to find another one in stock. 

Inconvenient for sure.  But I'm not letting, yet another, set back on the "Fencing Drama" hold me back! 

It might take months at this rate, but I WILL have a fence at some point! :)  

And it will be as beautiful as the ones in this post...............I hope. ;)



11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Erin...you have had a time of it! Your persistence will pay off in the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hat is off to you for taking on, what to me, would be an over-whelming project. You are really amazing and I am sure that you will eventually get it done and done well.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. dang i'd been killing someone way early in the day...i wish you the best with this project and bless your heart that you are doing all this for the pooch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your spirit Erin! I would have thrown in the towel by now! Good luck with your project! Things can only get better....right?! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh girl! Is your name Melissa? This kind of thing happens to me all the time so know that you are in good company! :o)

    Oh, and it will make the completed fence victory all that much sweeter my friend!

    Many Blessings,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your determination, Erin! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness, I read every word, I had a problem once with Home Depot, had to keep repainting a French door and then replaced 3 times as it kept leaking, many trips, wrong door, painting, painting...it went on and on!!! At the time I remember thinking if I was a guy, this would not be happening! I need a new fence also, I think I will save my money to have someone else install it!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin, I KNOW you will persevere and get the dang fence of your dreams!!! You have been through too much NOT to!

    I had to laugh though, because Lowes does NOT always know!! lol

    keep at it and keep us posted! (get it? Posted...fence...posts)

    I'm going now...

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  9. hows the fence going? I love the look of the fence and am sure it's going to look great! Here's to hoping all is going much smoother with it now! By the way, I'm giving you the Versatile Blogger award. Check out my blog to find out more about it http://copy-cat-crafter.blogspot.com/2011/04/five-favorite-finds-and-versitile.html

    ReplyDelete