Monday, April 18, 2011

Inexpensive Vignette and a Redo

I'm so behind all showing some of my living room transformations.

For those that have missed it, I am taking my home back to the cottage style I adore!  Plus I'm bucking the current trends and bringing back my favorite colors....reds, greens, browns and golds! :)

My no-sew curtains have been the perfect inspiration for my living room! 


They encompass everything I adore!! 

Flowers!! 

Frills!!

Red, green, brown AND gold!  Does it get any better! :)

So, of course, I've had to make other changes to get the warm, cozy  and inviting look I'm going for.  Those changes must come on a very tight budget!

I found a new antique store not long ago that had some really great prices and alot of stuff right up my alley.  Like these vintage bird prints.



They were only $3 each....which I thought was pretty fantastic!

The larger one had some stains on the bottom left, but I knew immediately how I would hide those.  Plus the frames I was not loving.  They are plastic.  But worse yet...they LOOK like plastic.

As any blogger knows, the quickest and cheapest way to transform just about anything is with spray paint! :)

I took them apart and gave both frames a quick spray with Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint and then lightly misted them with a goldish color spray paint.  The gold color was VERY light and just added dimension to the frames.

Excuse my horrendous carpet.  It's BAD!  I may have mentioned a few hundred couple times I REALLY want Bamboo floors.

It's amazing how spray paint took these pictures from cheesy to quite pretty if I don't say so myself!  I am totally loving these bird prints now. :)


I decided to keep the matte on the larger picture.  And my solution to cover the stains was to lean the smaller print in front of the larger one.


If you've been following me for a bit, you might remember my Pottery Barn steals back in February where I got this tray for $6.97 on clearance. 

I knew when I bought it that I wanted to lean it on a shelf as a back drop.  But at that time, even I couldn't have imagined how perfect it would be with my future bird prints! :)



I got the adorable little bird cage at Michael's recently for 50% off, which made it around $5.


I am a firm believer in plants in decor!!!!  Real or fake.  I can't say that enough!

Plants just add a warmth that you can't get any other way.  They fill dead space.  When in doubt....add a plant! :)


I got my little pot at the Christmas Tree Shop for $2 and believe it or not, I got the fake plant at the Dollar Tree.  I just took it out of the cheap pot it was in and stuck it in this one.  It's not that bad for a fakey.

So, my whole vignette came in at around $21.  I had all these items here already except the bird prints, but I went ahead and included the prices of everything since they weren't terribly old.

I think it looks like a million bucks. ;)






So....would have bought these cheesy plastic framed prints?  Or would have walked right past them?

There was a day not long ago, pre-blogging, I wouldn't have been able to see the potential.


18 comments:

  1. I love the way you grouped your things together. The frames look great spray painted. My upstairs hallway is bird themed too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have walked past the bird prints, but thank goodness you have more sense than I do, 'cause they look terrific now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous!! I would have snatched up those prints in a nano second! LOVE them! I am a firm believer in the power of spray paint!

    This vignette is just beautiful!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your vignette, Erin! You're right the paint was perfect for the frames! I love the bird theme you have on that shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty Erin. I love the bird prints and I totally agree with you about plants in a room...plants and books add so much warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love people that buck the trends. I got so weary of all the white and cream rooms. They are beautiful but I crave color. So, in or out, color is what I do.
    Thanks for visiting and commenting on my spring decor. It's always fun to meet new bloggers.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job, Erin! I've always loved vintage wildlife prints. They can be tweaked to fit into most every decor and fit well with almost all types of frame styles. The whole vignette is just sweet! Plus, I've been coveting that tray from pottery barn since you first showed it! LOL

    Happy Spring, my friend!
    XOXO
    ~Mrs B

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was blog hopping and came across yours. I've really enjoyed reading it and will definitely come back to visit!
    Your bird prints turned out beautiful!
    Your many frustrating trips to Lowe's almost has me in tears!
    And I pray you've done well on your placement tests. You're a brave one for going back to school!
    You have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the bird prints!! And that you are sticking with what you love. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done my friend! When do we get to see a larger view of the room?!

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Erin!

    I love your sweet arrangement! You completely transformed the frames and it makes the bird prints that much more beautiful! :)

    I hope you are having a wonderful week so far! :)

    Blessings,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love birds! Looks great! Make sure you stop by my blog for a FREE vintage Easter printable;)Alyssa of Boston Bee

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the bird cage and what a great price! This is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's looking great!
    I have to say that if I had no plant in my house it wouldn't feel like home, I have a lots of them , they are almost in every room, they add something special to the atmosphere of the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the bird pictures! :) Very cute and the best part was it was not expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the frames!! and i love plants and flowers as decor, but i kill the real ones,so i always use the fake ones lol

    ReplyDelete