Wednesday, April 06, 2011

It's Curtains for You

So, yesterday I blogged about trends.

The reason I blogged on the topic is because it's been on my mind lately.  I've been revamping the entire house it seems like lately. 

And after my drop cloth curtain fail, I needed new curtains!


Curtains can get expensive.  And with my recent announcement I was going back to cottage style decor, I wanted to get rid of the copper/orange panels (that were not really "ME" to begin with, but a compromise of a failed relationship) and go with something more cottagey looking (with red/sage greens/browns being the colors I truly love).

But I was having buyers remorse over the orange curtains. 

Granted they had been up for a year or so.  But having spend around $60 on them, I didn't want to turn around this soon and spend that much again.

In the mean time I was living with drop cloth curtains that were absolutely doing nothing for me!

But as luck would have it, I was doing some thrifting a couple weeks ago and ran across this PAIR of curtains for $3.99 at the Goodwill.


THESE are totally ME!!!!! :) 

I fell in LOVE!!! 

Pittery-pattery-puffy heart-LOVE! :)

Unfortunately they were WAY too short.  They were only 60" panels. But I went ahead and bought them anyway!  Along with a pair of brown curtains (Target rejects donations) for $5.99...figuring I could piece the two together for a long enough panel.

BUT...I don't sew!  Remember?

What's a non-sewer to do?

Stitch Witchery
and
Fabri-Tac  


I won't explain each step, it's pretty easy to figure out.  But basically I cut down the floral panels to the length I wanted to use for the top piece, and used the Stitch Witchery to create seams.  Then I again, used the Stitch Witchery to piece the two panels together.

I went to Hobby Lobby, with a 40% coupon, and got two types of trim.  These were actually pretty inexpensive (especially with the coupon).

I used the Fabri-Tac to glue the trim pieces on....even pulling an emergency People of Walmart style run to get more at 10:30 at night (in my plaid PJ bottoms!!) when I ran out!! ;)

WAIT!!!  Don't un-follow me!  I swear, I would only pull this in an absolute emergency, like being ALMOST done with gorgeous curtain panels and wanting to hang them and look at them immediately....type emergency!!  You understand.  Right?  Right????  ;)

I learned my lesson anyway.  I accidently almost ran face first into a really cute guy....who totally noticed my pajama pants. :(  And you know a guy shopping at Wal-Mart by himself at 10:30 at night was probably single.  RATS!  ;)  At least he smiled at me.

Anywho...back to my no-sew gorgeous curtain panels.

They turned out PERFECT!!  Well, perfect might be a slight exaggeration.  But for no-sew Goodwill panels....they are perfect enough for me! :)

I'd like to add backing to them at some point so they block more light (for the impromptu middle of the day movie watching)....but that can be pushed down the list.

Oh, and the best part.....even with the trim.....they only cost me $18 for the pair!  :)


Along with the whole "trend" conversation.  You may notice while everyone else is lightening up for spring and adding lots of turquoise and grays....I'm not.

I have my personal opinion that those are fads.  Absolutely pretty fads...don't get me wrong...but temporary 'love' all the same.

Over the years I find that I always gravitate towards deep reds and sage greens and tans/golds/browns.  So, I'll go ahead and buck the blog trend and go with the deep, rich colors I love so much! :)

Here's my touch of spring.  Some fake flowers....a goodwill metal hanger...and a touch of leopard!  Oh yeah! :)
I still have plenty to do. 
My red pillows (which I've had forever) are too red for the new curtains, so a deeper red or brown or something are in order.  If I get really spunky, I have curtain fabric leftover, maybe I can add a small amount more of that into a pillow somewhere.

The coffee table has been in need of a makeover for a long time.  I'm thinking about painting and distressing the legs and staining the top a darker stain.

Someday, Bamboo floors will be installed.  And I'll need a new area rug.

And the lighting above the couch is too modern for the new look.  So, I have to figure out new lighting.  Oh, and the shade on the table lamp is too white...need to do something with that too.

Ohhh......the list never ends!! LOL

I will joining the parties listed in the link at the top of the page!  Check them out!! :)


13 comments:

  1. Very nice Erin! You did a great job piecing them togther and the trim is fabulous and classy looking. I puffy heart that fabric too. He! The room is going to be lovely.

    I hear you on the color trends and trends in general. We should all stick with what we love and what makes us smile each time we enter our home. Fantastic post and topic.

    Warmly, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. Love the new curtains. So creative of you to add some other panels to the bottom and without even sewing a stich - just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job on those curtains. They look wonderful.
    BTW I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cleaver, cleaver you! And by the way, they look sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, you did a great job on your curtains!! I love that you are sticking with what you love! That is the secret... to more than decorating! ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Walmart story. Definitely made me giggle. The curtains are amazing! I need to go shopping with you cause I never come up with stuff like that. Although I am really into the teals, pinks, and spring greens - even when it wasn't cool ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the new curtains. Great find and great no-sew job! Must remember that. Oh and if I were you, I'd head back to Walmart same time everynight.. only maybe this time, without the pajama bottoms..lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good golly gracious.....THOSE ARE AWESOME!!! Well done!

    Have you decided what color you are going to paint/stain the table?

    Many Blessings,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They turned out perfectly! What a stroke of genius to use stitch witchery on them, and to add the trim, too. :) I love how they look in your living room! They're gorgeous, truly they are!

    How have you been lately? I am sorry that I have been so MIA as of late! I hope you are doing well, and that you had a fun weekend!

    Blessings,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erin, these are GORGEOUS! I LOVE that floral fabric! LOVE IT!!You did awesome! I swear, I think we are kindred spirits as I have the stitch witchery and fabric sitting on my island as we speak to do curtains for my bedroom....I am not so great with the sewing machine.....

    You did a great job!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your coffee table would look great painted and distressed in that darker red color in the curtain fabric......just sayin'

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe you got those curtains for $4 at Goodwill! They look like Waverly! Beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete