Monday, April 11, 2011

In My World

Want to know what's going on in my world?

LOTS!!

But most importantly right now....tomorrow morning I have my math placement test at the University.  I am totally, completely, and utterly....FREAKING OUT!!!!

I have been out of school, um, *cough, cough* 19 years!!! 



I asked Doodle to show me how to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions this evening when we finished dinner.

Doodle is in 5th grade.

She made up a mock test for me after she showed me how to do fractions.

I only got HALF of them right!!!!!!

I FAILED a fifth graders mock up test!!!!!!! 

And forget about Algebra...I'm lucky I can spell it!  I am so afraid that I am going to score the lowest score in the entire history of IUPUI!! 

I even wondered....can they retract my acceptance letter for me being completely math illiterate? 


Oh well....not much I can do about it now.

But boy do I have quite a tale to tell you about my weekend!  Including, I swear, the lady at Home Depot saying my name....without me telling her my name!!  But I'll have to save that story for later this week....after I quit having a spazz attack over the math placement test!

I'm convinced they are going to say, "We are sorry, but we don't have a math class that goes back as far as you need.  You might check with your local elementary school and see if you can sit it on their classes."  :)



6 comments:

  1. Seriously Erin, don't sweat it. I used to be an exam invigilator at a college, so I have some knowledge of the entrance exams. They are only interested in getting an accurate assessment of where you need help. Be kind to yourself, as you said, you haven't been to school in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl....I totally feel ya! Math was never a strength of mine but I've gotten along just fine without it! Take Mel's advice from above and try not to be so hard on yourself!

    Many Blessings,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, You will do fine. I started college 13 years after graduating from high school. Always keep the end in mind...you are doing this to better your life and that of your daughter.

    The first semester is the hardest because you have to learn how to learn and study again! I went three days a week and worked two days per week, oh and had three children still at home! Pick your study time, stick to it, realize you will have to adjust it each semester based on the classes you are taking, but it's so doable! I took as many notes as I could write in each class, came home that evening and typed them up - you know while those things were still fresh. Depending on the homework (yep, it's back in your life) I did it on the non-school days.

    Here's my best advice: get a good (read that great) backpack; carry a small makeup bag (sling purse type) so it will fit in your backpack; leave your purse at home; carry only what you know you will need; remember to take some otc meds with you; make your backpack a mini-office for yourself; and most importantly, enjoy yourself!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you did well. I can't EVEN imagine taking a math placement test. I never was any good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I ended up gettin my degree and I'm sure I'm worse than you with math...seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Erin, I am sooo with you on math. I think we are either creative or analytical and we are the creative bunch. Good luck and let us know how you do!!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete