Friday, August 05, 2011

It's a Sign

I made my very first sign!!


I see so many signs in blogland and I have been dying to try my hand at making some for a long time.

I found these signs at the Dollar Tree.


I primed it with spray paint first to cover the stuff that was on it.

Then, I used several different kinds of craft paint to make the lovely gray color it turned out with.  Painting it gray, the watering down some white and wiping it over the wood.  Then, some watered down light gray and mixed that with some black....basically I just layered on colors.

Now, onto the stencil....


I've been talking to Mel from Junkin' Junky (if you don't follow Mel, go check her out, she is super mega talented and not to mention a sweetheart too)  about sign making and how she goes about making hers.  We talked about how she uses her Cricut to sometimes use vinyl to make the words and sometimes she uses vinyl to make a stencil.

We both agree that vinyl is so stinkin' expensive!  So, I was looking for any alternative before resigning to using vinyl.  I asked her about freezer paper, she said I could use that or I could use shelf liner. 

I tried using freezer paper first because it's what I had on hand.  It cut on the Cricut just fine.  But it is so flimsy I didn't feel like it made a good stencil.

I forgot to pick up shelf liner at the store and being desperate to make a sign...I tried using some glossy photo paper I had on hand.  It worked like a DREAM!!!!

Now I can't wait to make more signs!!  Seriously, it might be my new craft addiction. :)

I took this one to the booth/boutique/wall. ;)


I also took some plaques to the booth today.


I really do think my "No Soliciting" sign is working!  I haven't had a solicitor in a long time.  :)


 

33 comments:

  1. I was wondering when you were going to share. It's fab and I like the layered colours.

    Did I mention that you have to iron the freezer paper onto the wood? I may have forgotten that part, sorry :) It should be fine on acrylic paints, but don't try it on spray paint.

    Are you going to be at the booth (wall, as Doodle says) this weekend? All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Also, did you make the green pears? I love those, too!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your booth-wall-boutique-store, is wonderful...so many cute things. I hope that it is very successful. Love the beach sign!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin it looks great. I still do it the old fashioned way..you know print it out, color the back with pencil then put it on the wood and press really hard while outlining the word then painting it in..hard - gotta get on that cricut wagon..haha
    hope your summer is going well.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sign looks so much better--your boutique/wall is pretty awesome ;).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have also used just some heavy cardstock to make stencils and you could also use the cardboard that come from packaging as well. Love everything you have in your booth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow so great. the information you have shared it's so useful and unique. thanks for the sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://jobschat.in


    Jobs Chat is one of the biggest Indian Job Site so here you will getLatest Govt jobs in apso

    ReplyDelete


  9. Jobs Chat is one of the biggest Indian Job Site so here you will getLatest Govt jobs in apso

    ReplyDelete
  10. A birthday is an event when a man or establishment praises the commemoration of their introduction to the world. Birthdays are praised in various societies, frequently with a present, gathering, or transitional experience. Numerous religions commend the introduction of their authors with uncommon occasions.
    birthday wishes for husband
    http://www.wikihow.com/Celebrate-Mother

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fancy designer wear our website and reasonable price More…
    We Have Some For You In Your Budget For more…
    Plz visit:- Punjabi Dress


    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the useful information. You might be interested in Arunachal Pradesh PSC MO Previous Papers

    ReplyDelete

  13. Designer Anakali Dresses is perhaps the desire of every single girl in this world to look amazing on her wedding day.
    It is certainly important that the bride must be the star of the show.The most beautiful woman at the wedding venue.
    In India,Anakali Dresses are the most obvious choice for the brides.There are many Anakali Dresses in our site...
    For more...
    Plz visit:- Anakali Dresses

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can buy from our large and diverse collection of salwar kameez, party wear suits, bollywood collection, cotton kurtis, Anarrkali suits,Bollywood saree and many other products.....
    We Have Some For You In Your Budget
    For more…
    Anarkali Dress
    Punjabi Dress
    Wedding Saree
    Lehenga Choli
    Ghagra Choli
    Silk Saree
    Ladie Suit
    Indian Saree
    Designer Dress
    Bridal Dresses

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are many types of festivals celebrated in India like International, regional, seasonal and religious.
    So Check out In our Article Awesome Wishes, Status and images of all Famous festival...
    Happy Diwali
    Merry Christmas
    Happy New Year Images

    ReplyDelete
  16. A movie is used for an entertainment of busy people.
    By seeing movie person experiences refreshment from their day to day life.
    For watching movie plz visit following site:-
    kingsman-thegoldencircle
    kingsman: the golden circle

    ReplyDelete
  17. New Year is the time for celebrations and joy. People have always celebrated New Year’s Eve with a lot of pomp and shownew year latest and merry christmas photo

    ReplyDelete
  18. if you want to download valentines day image than you can visit our site and you can check out valentine day pic download

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for this wonderful post. The information in this article is very helpful to me. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.
    Interest Waypoint
    For truth or dare questions for marriedcouples over text
    Best Truth or Dare Questions for Married Couples

    ReplyDelete