Thursday, September 29, 2011

Bedroom Updates

STOP!!  Don't adjust your screen!!!

Really......

it's me.

With an actual, real live, honest to goodness POST!

********************************

I know all my followers understand, but I still feel the need to apologize for my long dry spells between posts these days.

Ladies (and Gents), let me just tell you.....COLLEGE IS A LOT OF WORK!!!

I feel like all I do these days is go to school and come home and do homework and repeat!  Occasionally I make something for the booth (about once every 2 weeks).  That is what life consists of lately.  

I knew it was going to be a lot of work....but I was not prepared for the insane amount of hours I put into homework EVERY SINGLE FLIPPIN' DAY!

But I gotta tell you..........

I LOVE IT!!

Seriously, I do!  Even algebra (which I currently have an A in....WOOHOO!)  The art classes have been extremely hard for me.  It appears I am not naturally artistic. LOL But what I lack in talent I am trying to desperately make up for with LOTS and LOTS (and LOTS) of practice.  :)

***************************

Ok, so on to my master bedroom updates.


Many, many moons ago, I posted about my master bedroom here.  But since that was way before most of you were followers, let's take a trip back.


When I purchased my home, the tiny 11x12 master bedroom looked like this.





1989 called and wanted the pink walls, brass fan and awful fake wood doors and trim back!


But once I painted the walls the perfect yellow/gold color (that I can't find the name to!!) and all the trim and doors, it looked like this.




Then this....




The closet doors painted white...




And my GORGEOUS Pottery Barn Velvet curtains that I only paid $20 a panel for at Home Goods which you can read about here!




There was nothing wrong with this look (except for the need of a headboard) and I loved it for well over a year, which let's face it, in the Interior Design blogging world is like an eternity! ;)


The changes I made recently first started out of necessity...but spiraled into pretty much a whole new look.  You know how that goes. LOL  


I needed a new home for the pie safe after I moved the computer into the living room.

The pie safe is probably the only piece of furniture I will never part with in my house.  It is THE work horse of my house.  It holds warranties, photo albums, every single photo ever taken, memories, Doodle's baby stuff.....everything important.

I really didn't have anywhere else to put it, but my bedroom.  I also felt it was important to keep that piece near me as we start to bring in foster children.  I don't want to risk the stuff inside to possible anger, outbursts, and such.


It is a decent sized piece of furniture though and my bedroom is tiny.  


I tried several different layouts which made the tiny bedroom feel crowded. But ultimately, 50 more nail holes later, settled here.



I was surprised the bedroom actually felt more spacious!  How is that possible?  It's proof, just because you have small rooms, it doesn't mean you have to always use small scaled furniture.


Do you remember that picture above the bed?  It use to be in the living room.  It didn't make the living room cuts, but works beautifully in my bedroom now.


Of course, I STILL need a headboard!  It's been 2 1/2 years...I mean seriously, you'd think I would have taken care of that by now.



The only thing I purchased for this room redo was the denim comforter.  It was important that the Pottery Barn curtains stayed in the room, so scrounging through my garage I found this old quilt I had.  And that's where the color scheme started coming from.


I took the two dark red pillows from the previous bedding set and turned them around to hide the gold ornate stitching....and wallah, they look like new pillows.


I'll show some of the details in a later post.  But for now wanted show you the changes taking place inside.




11 comments:

  1. Excellent! It all looks georgous and I really like the painting in this room ~ the perfect spot.

    I know what you mean about being busy, school is very time consuming but I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying it and it is going well.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Erin! I love the changes you've made to your room! Good luck with your classes! I'm so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Glad you are lovin' school. Justin is having a good time in collage as well ;) Love the new look of the bedroom and good thinking on the pie cabinet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What an awesome transformation for no money! The perfect kind in my opinion!

    Many Blessings,
    M.

    PS - The thought of taking an algebra class almost makes me break out in hives...you are a brave girl! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. An impressive update Erin. I love that quilt and am glad you used it to inspire your update. You deserve a place to lay your head each night that is beautiful and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bedroom looks great. I don't think you need a headboard. It might look too crowded with one, and without it, and that picture, it looks wonderful. Good job. No wonder you don't have time to post!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! As much as we ALL love instant gratification I think it's great just adding improvements over time.....it's "real life!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin, it was sooo good to hear from you! Oh I totally understand school, that is your priority and will be so worth it in the end! We will all be here! I am tossing around rearranging my little bedroom too I think you inspired me to give it a try? Hang in there, before you know it you will have one semester done Yea!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Erin,

    I tried to find the e-mail where we were chatting back and forth about your headboard and I couldn't find it. I think I told you I'd probably cover something lightweight with a plain material, then I'd ask my friend her opinion. Well, I did. She said she agreed with me, or she said she might think of putting up a white picket fence for a headboard. I thought that sounded cute. I hope all is well. Take care,
    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  10. This may be possibly the slowest thank you ever, thanks for giving my blog an award, some time back. Here is a link to the thank you post. http://cedarhillranch.blogspot.com/2011/10/beary-good-friends.html

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok so I am loving your room!!! seriously!!! I have a tiny bedroom as well and amd still always trying to work with it to make it make sense. Thanks for the inspiration. You are great... and all this while busy with college and a mom!!! You are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete