Saturday, January 08, 2011

Decisions, Decision, Decisions...

As you are well aware of, Doodle is getting a room makeover!!

She's going from a little girls bright, tropical-ish bedroom.....to a mature, tween bedroom. :(

Don't get me wrong...I'm excited to redecorate the bedroom (I mean, it's kind of what I live for).  I'm just sad my little girl is growing up.

Her request was simple, beige walls and...leopard print.

This was actually exciting for me because as I may have mentioned fifty times once or twice that I LOVE me some leopard print!!! :)

You have to be VERY careful with leopard print...it can get REALLY tacky.  But done right, leopard can be very classic and shee-shee-foo-foo!! :)

After ALOT of searching online, I finally decided in order to get the feel we were looking for I was going to have to cough up some $$.  I'm cheap frugal as you know, but I also realize the bedding is what makes a bedroom. 

So, I went with the Ralph Lauren Desert Retreat Organic Leopard duvet and sham. 



It had to look we wanted, but not the price tag.  It was $140 at Macy's (without the sham).  But I was able to get it on EBay, with a sham, for $85.  That's alot to me, especially for a 10 year old, but this is something she can use for a long time.

The plain brown look is a little too subdued for a 10 year old, so I knew we needed an pop with an accent color.  So, I gave her several options.

Red, grayish blue, or green.  We quickly narrowed it down to red or grayish blue.

I was told....get this, I almost fell over......."SURPRISE ME"!!!  My 10 year old daughter said "Surprise me"!!!!

I was pretty sure the gray-blue was the sophisticated look I wanted but just to be sure I threw both colors on the bedding and took a picture. 

This is how I decide on alot of my decorating choices...I take a picture.

You can see alot in a picture that you may not notice in person.  Try it next time and see if it helps you.

So, here was the red option.   Very nice and I could definitely work with this (I used pillows and a brown bathroom towel I already had to get an idea).


And here is the blue option (the pillow, $12, and artwork, $15, I purchased at Wal-Mart, the little bucket was the whole inspiration for the blue in the first place, it was on clearance at Michael's for $2).


I knew immediately blue was IT!!! :)

So, there is your little sneak peak of the direction Doodle's room is headed!!! :)

Until next time....

9 comments:

  1. I think I would pick the blue too - but maybe becuase those are my bedroom colors too. Love it. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, so good! I looks terrific and I am sure the final results are going to be spectacular.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, you're such an awesome mom! And I am glad you went with the blue; it looks great with the leopard print. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh! It's going to be FABULOUS with a capital F!

    Many Blessings,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as I saw the blue, I too knew it was perfect!!! Can't wait to see the finished room! What a lucky young lady to have such a fantastic mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you both are having a blast redecorating her room. I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's going to look so nice. I love the bedding. Great choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely blue - good choice! I love that leopard bedding, very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good feeling, to know you're on the right track! I'd love to add some vinyl for her room... a nice brown old-fashioned phone silhouette or lamp on top of a table? Hahaha.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!
    www.uvinyl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete